The completion of the Carterton Events Centre was a considerable achievement for this small Wairarapa town. It marked the first civic building to be built in Carterton in over 100 years.
By incorporating the Public Library, which was built in 1881, into the overall design of the new multipurpose centre, Opus Architecture has created a link between Carterton’s past and future.
The ability of the Events Centre to divide off its 300 seat auditorium means it is not locked into single use activities. This creates the ability to have four or five events operating simultaneously.
To achieve this flexibility Opus Architecture and Henry & Kemp, once again entrusted ASSA ABLOY New Zealand to provide the most secure and convenient door solutions. Throughout the centre, security has been achieved by using a combination of Lockwood 3570 Series Cylinder and Electric Mortice Locks, Lockwood 7726 Series Door Closers and Lockwood 2516 Cam Action Closers.
By combining the Lockwood 1800/1900 Series Plate Furniture with the popular 70 Lever, in addition to the use of the Lockwood 142 Entrance Handles, the architects had the ability to customise the door fittings to match the buildings design. This was a factor of considerable importance for the Carterton Events Centre which has both historic and contemporary aspects.
Project Architect: Opus Architecture
Structural Engineer: Opus International Consultants
Main contractor: Holmes Construction Group
LVL manufacturer: McIntosh Laminates Ltd., Juken NZ (JNL)
Door hardware supplier: Henry and Kemp